BLOG description

This blog is a record of soups we have tried from recommendations from recipe books, friends, the web and other places. How we liked them or didn't as the case may be.We try to find different soups to try each week and make the meal fun by inviting friends to share.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Soup day #4 Mushroom celery and Garlic soup



Excusa the garlic plis” is what you would have heard while we prepared the soupe de   jour du Mercredi.

Indeed as soon as I started to collect items for the accompanying garlic bread the kitchen and indeed the whole house had the odor of garlic spreading throughout. While I was preparing the garlic by scraping and squashing the cloves I did wonder why it is that the slightest sniff of an onion I tear up but garlic only hits my nose and if I have too much of the garlicky smell,it gives me a little woozy feeling.

The soup came out a thick chocolaty color and looked very much like the photo in the book. The texture was good this time, just a very slight grainy effect ,much more to our taste. Mike gave it a 10 and I gave it a 9. However the mushroom taste was just overwhelming so much so I couldn't find a hint of the celery in it and the only garlic was floating in the air currents pervading the house. Mike didn't care for it either declaring,” I don't think we'll do this one again.” That tells you something. He usually likes everything. So it rated overall only a 7 for Mike and a 6 for me.

The bread was okay but very different from the garlic bread one usually eats at restaurants It was very crumbly and quite heavy. The crust was the best part.

(So Sally and Joe it was a good job this was not the soup day you decided to visit.)


What really saved the day was an excellent bottle of Californian red Merlot called CupCake, given to us by grand daughter Ashleye and her husband Matt and enjoyed immensely in the lovely new wine glasses given to us by Trevor and Laura for Christmas .
So we sat and drank the wine and decided next week would be a complete change and Mike would prepare some kind of chowder.
So keep in touch.

P.S. no vampires will invade this house for a while.

1 comment: