BLOG description

This blog is a record of soups we have tried from recommendations from recipe books, friends, the web and other places. How we liked them or didn't as the case may be.We try to find different soups to try each week and make the meal fun by inviting friends to share.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Awesome Soup Blog #15 Roasted Pepper Soup



Bradford pear tree in bloom

I'm somewhat late in writing this soup blog this week as Spring has finally come in all it's glory to Texas , well our part anyhow and I've spent most of my time digging and planting and pulling out the exotic natural plants known as “thistle” which seems every year to do so much better than last year.

Last week we were so impressed with the roasted veggie soup that Mike cooked a roasted pepper soup this week and it certainly was delicious and very tasty. Pre-roasting the red and yellow peppers gives  that extra flavor and allows the soup to retain a vibrant red/orange color. Prior to tasting , I was a bit dubious about this soup as I am not very happy with eating hot or spicy food but this soup surprised me as it was not in the slightest bit peppery and had a fine taste. Mike had one problem in the preparation as it said to peal off the skins of the peppers after roasting but that proved nigh on impossible to do , so he went ahead and left the skins in place. When blended , you couldn't tell at all. Mike gave this soup a 9.5 , and I gave it a 9 mostly because again the texture wasn't quite as smooth as I prefer.

I decided again to bake whole wheat bread but this time to make a dough and then bake it in the oven. This recipe added gluten flour, to help with the rise, and also honey and canola oil so the taste was slightly different . It certainly rose well. I feared at one point I might not be able to get it out the oven but as you can see by the photo all went well. It sliced well, was airy and light and a good bread. It also kept very well so we were to eat this bread for the following 2 days before it went stale.

I finally also had found some flat soup dishes rather than bowls similar to the ones featured in the Soup Bible . I have been looking for these for quite a while. So much of our conversation was about the bowls. If you look carefully you can see part of the phrases written on the sides of the plates but I bet you can't guess what it says!! It's amazing how a neat bowl enhances the food

Next week on the menu is Chicken and Minestrone soup. Looks like a hearty meal in the book.

Open invitation as usual but please call us first.


1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite tastes is roasted peppers, trouble is peppers are quite expensive here at the moment so we'll have to wait till summer to try this one.
    And next week another of my all-time faves- Minestrone.
    the pleasures of life!
    John

    ReplyDelete