BLOG description

This blog is a record of soups we have tried from recommendations from recipe books, friends, the web and other places. How we liked them or didn't as the case may be.We try to find different soups to try each week and make the meal fun by inviting friends to share.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Vegetable Pesto soup


Have you noticed that in the fall there are lots of different kinds of vegetables in the grocery stores? There are squashes of all kinds and root veggies and at least some I really have no clue about. I felt a bit like that when I was the person who shopped this week for the ingredients for this week's soup, Vegetable Pesto .It sure had a lot of vegetables!! it had spinach, onion, mushroom ( is that considered a vegetable?)carrot, potato, tomato, parsnip, turnip, celery, green pepper, leek, garlic, green beans, peas, squash, and cannellini beans
You can see by looking at the photo it was chock full of veggies. Mike had made the pesto with Parmesan cheese,basil and garlic and we had some in a small dish on the side as well as some included in the soup.

I had planned to cook French bread in the bread machine but it wasn't until I had the machine whirring away kneading all the ingredients that I realized that this loaf would be ready approx 2 hours after we had finished eating our soup. What to do? Fortunately I had a loaf,all be it, a rather sad looking thing in the freezer that I had made about 4 months ago. I quickly defrosted it and hoped it would be okay. I reckoned we could always toast it if needed. Thank goodness no visiting friends were coming today.
The soup turned out to be just fine and looked a lot like the photo in the book . It was very tasty especially when the pesto was added and stirred into the mix. The fun was in eating it and trying to recognize the individual tastes of the many veggies. We both gave it high marks, 8.5. I would have like a few less veggies and a bit more juice or liquid.. Mike would have preferred it to be more spicy. That has been duly written in the cookbook for next time.
I have to mention that the recipe made many helpings of soup and as you can see, we have enough for another meal or maybe two in our fridge. I have a feeling this is a soup that will also be better when it has time to mature just like a good wine. I'll let you know.

PS Time to mature doesn't work with bread!!

1 comment:

  1. Good & Healthy! Never seen sso many veges in one dish, and with the addition of pesto.. well!
    John

    ReplyDelete